Record Details

NHER Number:1032
Type of record:Monument
Name:Late Saxon and medieval occupation at Fuller's Hill

Summary

In 1974 excavations at Fuller's Hill revealed Late Saxon and medieval evidence. Occupation began in the 11th century and excavated features included clay surfaces, structural remains, ovens, pits and wells. Finds recovered included a coin of Edward the Confessor, pottery and fish bones. Layers of wind blown sand suggest that there may have been brief gaps in the occupation. During the medieval and post medieval periods there were 'Rows' (streets) and buildings on the site. In the 18th century there was a Baptist meeting house. In 1870 brewery buildings were built.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:Not displayed
Map Sheet:TG50NW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Fullers Hill. Area between Church Plain and George Street covered by Lacon's Brewery until 1973/4.

June to July 1974. Excavation on Northern part of site.
Excavation revealed that the 19th century brewery building had destroyed all deposits later than 1200, however, there were traces of occupation after about 1200 including pits and wells and a drain. 11th and 12th century ovens and clay floors were examined and finds of fish bones, floats and weights were discovered. There were also 3m of deposits, mainly sand blown of the 11th and 12th centuries.
See (S4) for further information.
A. Rogerson (NAU), 1975 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 10 June 2013.

Structures excavated included fish drying ovens; other finds included Thetford ware and coin of Edward the Confessor.
During 18th century site occupied by meeting house of the Particular or Calvanistical Baptists.
See (S1).

Further finds made on site after excavation ceased include post medieval sherds and much human bone, thought to come from a Calvinistic Baptist burial ground nearby which was levelled in the 19th century.
This was confirmed by glass and sherds of that date found under the bones.
E. Rose.

Context 1, at TG 5224 0799: a 17th century yellow glazed flagon found in a builder's scrape.
E. Rose.

House fronting Church Plain between Rows 19 and 21 (this must fall within eastern boundary of site) demolished in 1865; it had a stone plaque with 1635 and THE for Henry and Elizabeth Thompson. In demolition several reused medieval stone fragments including quatrefoils and two stone 'cups' were found.
(S2) according to source [1] who also notes that Rows 15, 16 and 19 do not appear on a map of 1668 (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1993.

See press cuttings (S4) and correspondence in file.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • PIT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • OVEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)
  • BREWERY (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1870 AD to 1974 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BALANCE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COIN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • KNIFE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WHETSTONE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARROWHEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FISH HOOK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KNIFE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: XV1 to XX111.
---Unpublished document: 1974. Unique remains uncovered by 'dig' at old brewery..
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Yarmouth (Great).
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Yarmouth (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in serial: Rogerson, A.. 1976. Excavations on Fuller's Hill, Great Yarmouth.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 2, 131-234. pp 131-234.
<S2>Serial: Palmer, C.J.. 1875. The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth: with Charleston and Southtown.. Vol 3.
<S3>Map: Gomme. 1688. Gomme's map.
<S4>Article in serial: Webster, L. E. and Cherry, J. 1975. Medieval Britain in 1974. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XIX pp 220-260. p246.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service