Record Details

NHER Number:10287
Type of record:Building
Name:St Edmund's Church, South Burlingham


A medieval parish church, dating back to at least the 12th century. The church has an excellent example of a 15th century pulpit with original medieval paint, and 14th century wall paintings depicting St Christopher and the murder of St Thomas Becket.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3722 0824
Map Sheet:TG30NE

Full description

Medieval parish church, with some 12th century work, but mainly dates from the 14th and 15th centuries, with late 19th century restoration.
12th century north and south doorways, both have carved capitals.
15th century arch braced nave roof.
15th century pulpit with 8 panels containing original medieval paint.
14th century wall painting of St Christopher on the north nave wall, and a large painting of the murder of St Thomas Becket on the south wall.
See (S1) and (S2).
The church was rethatched in 1996, see (S3).
Sarah Spooner (NLA), August 2005.

This is one of the few churches that may have had altar rails before the 1640s. See (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 September 2005.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Leaflet: 1979. The History of St. Edmund's Church South Burlingham..
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Mary carries on her family tradition of helping church. 20 March.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Serial: Pevsner, N.. North East Norfolk and Norwich..
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 9 April.
<S4>Monograph: Cooper, T.. 2001. The journal of William Dowsing: iconoclasm in East Anglia during the English Civil War..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service