Record Details

NHER Number:10189
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church, Hardwick

Summary

St Margaret’s Church is a long building of largely late Norman date, which until the storms of 1770 had a round tower . Both the north and south doorways are Norman, and there are a variety of traceried windows , as well as a 15th century arch braced roof and a post medieval porch of brick and flint. The church underwent a major restoration in 1882, and the east wall was rebuilt in 1986.

Inside, this long church has a spectacular red rood screen in the Perpendicular style, dating to the 15th century and restored in 1611 after falling into disrepair, and again in 1661 following damage by the Puritans. There is also a wall painting surviving from the 14th century, depicting St Christopher and a number of birds, visible opposite the entrance. Despite being less than a kilometre from its grander neighbour, St Mary’s Church at Shelton (NHER 10188), this humble church retains an older, more practical beauty, and is well worth a visit

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages

Location

Grid Reference:TM 22311 90094
Map Sheet:TM29SW
Parish:HARDWICK, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
SHELTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Collapsed round tower, containing Saxo-Norman window; flint and lava nave west quoins, simple Norman north door, elaborate Norman south door (altered in 13th century), probably all of early Norman date. One chancel window and priest's door around 1300. Other windows in three styles, probably all 14th century, except east and southeast, 15th century. Overall roof of later date. South porch 16th century. Furnishings: 15th century rood screen, altered 1661. 15th century font. Very good 17th century tombs.
Listed Grade I.
See report in file (S1). Photograph (S2) and correspondence (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 March 1988.

June 2013. CoBRAR report
South door has dogtooth ornament (only X2 at springings of arch) and a pointed arch. Therefore it is late 12th century if the doorway is in situ, and there is nothing to suggest that it isn't. Chancel is a 14th century rebuild with a second rebuilding of east wall. Former almost flat 14th century roof of which one truss remains against west wall. Walls heightened and a new steeply pitched roof of 12 arched brace trusses added to both nave and chancel. Chancel roof has a more ornate cornice. Four nave windows with identical unustual tracery with central multi-cusped circular vessicas. Chancel windows all different with fine late Geometric window to north east. Very interesting screen with painted church wardens names and date - 1661. This records the removal of the loft and the erection of a frieze out of re-used timber. The positions and joints of the former loft can be seen.
For further details see (S4)
S. Heywood (HES), 9 July 3013.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 2291A,B.
---Leaflet: Roy Tricker. 1977. The Hempnall Group, A Historical Guide..
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Artist whose talent was overlooked is in the spotlight. 4 July.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2013. More funding help for round tower churches. 14/05/2013.
---Photograph: EGK 23-25.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. Building Report..
<S2>Photograph: E. Rose. Photograph.
<S3>Unpublished document: Letter.
<S4>Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2013. Church of St Margaret, Hardwick, Shelton CP.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service