|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Peter's Church, Long Stratton|
This is the site of the medieval parish church of St Peter's which was united with St Michael's during the reign of Henry VII. The church was demolished in 1520 and slight earthworks are now visible on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2062 9356|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
United to St Michael's in the reign of Henry VII; demolished 1520.
Site known as Old Churchyard in (S1)'s day.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1979.
Pasture field; slight amorphous earthworks, with grass covered pit at antiquity symbol.
Close inspection prevented by shirehorse.
Appropriate section of (S2) in file.
Under good pasture, grazed by cattle in the summer months.
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 September 2003.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Long Stratton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 218; p 54. |
Related records - none
Find out more...