Record Details

NHER Number:10140
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ruins of St Saviour's Church, Surlingham

Summary

This is the site of the ruined church of St Saviour. It dates to the 12th century and consists of a nave with a chancel. The internal space is all of one width and the central space is buttressed, which possibly attests to the former presence of a tower at this location or a stone barrel vault. Efforts have been made to conserve the remaining stonework which includes a brick archway and sections of the porch. The church has been out of use since 1705.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3079 0675
Map Sheet:TG30NW
Parish:SURLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruined 12th century church.
For full details see file.
E. Rose 11 October 1982.

See reference (S1) and photographs in file.

January 2008. Architectural Survey.
An early Norman aisleless church with an unusual plan of an apse springing directly from a buttressed tower or barrel- vaulted choir. Wide walls were used to support a stone barrel vault, and the apse would have had a semi dome.
The chancel was greatly enlarged during the 15th century. The east wall stands with remnants of tracery in the former east window. The side walls have fallen almost to ground level. To the south are the remains of a later porch.
The facing of the Norman walls is of large flints roughly broken into blocks, ad the quoins and dressings are roughly knapped large flints. The Norman masonry has not been consolidated or repointed, and hairline 'lift lines' are visible, showing the different stages in the building of the church.
See (S2) for further information.
H. White (NLA), 12 November 2008.

February 2010.
Section 17 management agreement signed.
See (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 11 August 2010.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 106-110.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 30 NW 10 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 677.
---Leaflet: Stedman, M. et al. 1978. Eleven Churches - A Guide to the Bramerton Group, Norfolk. Norwich Printing Services. p 55.
---Photograph: 1989. Photographs of the Ruins of St Saviour's Church, Surlingham. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 83; pp 52, 131-133.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2008. The Church of St Saviour, Surlingham: An Architectural History..
<S3>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2009-2010. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement.

Related records

MNO2683Related to: Remains of Church of St Saviour SURLINGHAM (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service