|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Croft and Barn|
The barn here is of 18th century date. It has a thatched roof and stepped flint and brick gables. Behind it is a cottage with a high thatched roof and a large chimneystack. It is probably of 17th century date but was extended in the 18th century and then recoated in brick during the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3191 0671|
|Parish:||SURLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
15 May 1976. Visited by E. Rose.
Thatched barn, flint and brick stepped gable, with brick-edged slits, and stone inscribed 'Robert ?Fela...1664'. Remainder of barn of more recent brick. Behind is a cottage with north gable of flint, high thatched roof and large chimney, whereas southern end is lower and of brick; these two stages probably represent the two phases in the barn.
Cottage reroofed with tiles.
Listed Grade II.
Listed building description states house has reset plaque 'Robert Gillyans XXII Mayie 1615'. It sees building as one storey and dormer original, recoated in brick in 19th century over flint, and an 18th century extension. It notes the plaque on the barn but is suspicious of it and suggests an early 18th century date. Notes tiebeams and arched braces on wallposts.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 February 1999.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2007.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 677. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: 2007. Architectural plans.. 19 February. |
Related records - none
Find out more...