Record Details

NHER Number:10124
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Saxlingham Nethergate

Summary

This church is set in a beautiful position, nestled between the Old Rectory and Old Hall. It traces its earliest origins to the Late Saxon period but much of the architecture, including the grand tower with brick and flint battlements, date to the 14th and 15th centuries. The exterior was heavily restored in 1867 and the clock and sundial have been repaired more recently. Inside there is a fine collection of stained glass windows, with those in the south chancel being the earliest examples to be found in any Norfolk church. Visitors should also take note of the impressive 18th century memorial to John Baron and the chunky stone font decorated with roses and rather smug looking lions!

Images

  • St Mary's Church, Saxlingham Nethergate.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2313 9720
Map Sheet:TM29NW
Parish:SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Possible Late Saxon work with ?Roman tiles. Rebuilt 15th century but retaining some 14th century work; extended
1867. Earliest stained glass in Norfolk. Key found in yard.
For full details see file.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1980.

Newspaper cuttings (S1) and (S2) in file.

2 July 1996. NLA aerial photography, see (S3).
S. Massey (NLA) 23 July 2001.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • KEY (LOCKING) (Undated)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DOOR (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1987. Eastern Daily Press. 7 April.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1988. Eastern Daily Press. 14 July. 2.
<S3>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 2397Q, R, U - V.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service