Record Details

NHER Number:10122
Type of record:Building
Name:Saxlingham Mill

Summary

A watermill is marked at this spot on Ogilvies's road map of 1675 and Faden's map of Norfolk published in 1797. There is evidence for at least three different mill buildings here. A photograph taken in the 1920s shows a four bay brick mill that was destroyed in the 1960s. A house built around 1800 and still standing on the site may have been a watermill. The present mill was built around 1900 and was used to grind flour until 1991.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 211 979
Map Sheet:TM29NW
Parish:NEWTON FLOTMAN, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1980. Visit.
Water mill.
Marked on (S1).
House of three bays, two storeys, brick with rear wing that might have been the original mill, around 1800.
Present mill is of around 1900 to present day.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 September 1980.

[1]'s dissertation shows picture of old mill which she states was demolished in the 1960s. Photograph taken around 1920 shows four bay, four storey gabled brick mill with weatherboarded sack hoist, and to right tall tapering chimney above a hipped-roofed outbuilding.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 November 1985.

One of only two watermills in Norfolk shown on (S2), 17th century, it is shown as standing on the Newton Flotman bank.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 February 2003.

(S3) (in secondary file for NHER 9966), incorrectly states no trace of earlier mills.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 March 2003.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: 1991. Eastern Daily Press. 2 March.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2004. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/saxlingham-thorpe.html.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: 1675. Ogilvie's Roadbook.
<S3>Photograph: Funnell, B..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service