|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Black Mill|
Early 19th century maps show this to be the site of a windmill, but no trace of this structure is visible as new housing has been built here. Further research has identified the windmill as Black Mill, which saw use by smugglers before being converted into a house in 1930 and demolished in 1958.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2101 9756|
|Parish:||SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Old wind mill according to (S1).
First marked on (S2) in 1836.
No trace now remains; new housing on site.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 September 1980.
This was the Black Mill, wrongly placed by (S3)? at Saxlingham by Holt; built in 1834, used by smugglers, last used 1896. It was made into a house in 1930 and blown up in 1958.
Location corrected by member of the public .
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 25. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...