|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Flordon Mill and probable Early Saxon spearhead|
This is the site of a post medieval watermill. The mill was active in the 19th century, had closed by 1916 and was demolished in the late 20th century. It may have stood on the site of a mill mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. A spearhead, possibly Early Saxon in date, has been found on the site.
|Grid Reference:||TM 1944 9671|
|Parish:||FLORDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Iron spearhead from the water run at Flordon Mills. Probably Early Saxon.
See (S1). NCM sketch.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Long leat cut to drive mill from TM 187 192.
E. Rose (NAU).
Mill here in Domesday Book (S2), present mill had steam engine in 1869, now a house. No machinery. Closed 1916.
E. Rose (NAU).
Source  states that building was recently demolished and the wheel pit filled in.
Drawing of gable mark (S3) in file.
- WATERMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WATERMILL (18th Century to World War One - 1800 AD to 1916 AD)
- SPEAR (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 19 NE 12; TM 19 NE 14. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Flordon. |
|<S1>||Publication: Wm. Squire Mss. |
|<S2>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Miller, P.. Flordon Mill. |
|9999||Related to: Tharston Mill (Building)|
Find out more...