Record Details

NHER Number:9920
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Arminghall, Bixley


A medieval church, little of which is now visible following an almost complete rebuild in 1876, when the south porch was added. The west tower is probably 13th century originally, but much restored. The nave and chancel were originally thatched. Inside, there are medieval and 17th century memorial slabs. The font is 17th century, and has graffiti. The bell is dated 1615.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2523 0431
Map Sheet:TG20SE

Full description

November 1959. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Parish church. Bequest 1474 to tower. Mainly 13th century but almost all renewed in restoration of 1876. Flint with ashlar quoins and plain tile roofs. West tower, nave and continuous chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower, all details 1876. 2-light Y tracery west window. Wide ringing chamber lancets and 2-light louvred Decorated belfry windows. Gabled south porch of lancets moulded entrance arch and side lights. South side illuminated through one 2-light 19th century window east of porch, a lancet, a 2-light Perpendicular window, a lancet to chancel with, below it, a low side window, and finally a paired lancet at the east end of chancel wall. North side has a blocked north doorway with wave mouldings. One lancet each side of doorway, a 2-light cusped Y window further east and 2 lancets to chancel. There is one stepped buttress to nave north and south. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Interior. Tower arch with roll moulding and roll with fillet. No chancel arch. 19th century boarded nave and chancel roof enriched with cusped timbers. King post stands on arched timber chancel screen with traceried pierced spandrels. Plain font. 8 poppyhead bench ends to 19th century chancel stalls. Nave benches by J.P. Seddon. 8 Bench sedilia and arched piscina in chancel. Wall monument to John Herne 1697 of stone and painted plaster. Black inscription panel with 2 columns of latin text framed by painted foliate scrolls with a helmet at the top centre. An open segmental pediment over helmet. Apron of further scrolled foliage and more inscription in predella panel immediately above.
Information from (S1).

October 1976. Visit.
Much restored 1876 when south porch added. Nave and chancel in one, formerly thatched. Original structure Early English; four lancets in north wall, one in chancel south wall cut in two to form a low side-window, one very small in nave south wall, possibly to match small top section of former?
East window Perpendicular, northeast nave window Decorated; southeast nave window early Perpendicular but all renewed. Southwest nave window 1876, and also double lancet in chancel southeast window fit awkwardly into the earlier surround, containing sedilia, with piscina beside. Aumbry in nave north wall. Blocked north door with piscina. Decorated tower, with Decorated bell openings, broad lancet below and Y tracery west window, but probably all of one build. Much tile in join with nave. Medieval tomb slab recorded by Bryant by north door now covered over; another 17th century slab is now removed to churchyard. Two high quality 17th century floor tombs in sanctuary. Font octagonal, unusual; 17th century? With graffiti.
Bell 1615. Old poppyhead choir stalls; nave benches 1876 by Seddon. Monument 1661. 19th century unusual roof, with single kingpost resting on wooden chancel arch. Chalice, Norwich 1567; paten 1570. Formerly a 16th century St.Christopher wallpainting, now destroyed. (S2) in file.
E.Rose (NAU) 26 October 1977.

1993. Visit.
S.Ashley (NLA) notes two tomb slabs (presumably including the one mentioned above) removed to exterior when organ replaced, also two cartouches now leaning against porch, one broken.
E.Rose (NLA) 19th April 1993.

(S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373154.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 1-7.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 181.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Aerial Photograph: TG2504 Y,AJ,AK.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1977. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Village spirit 'saves' church. 19 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service