Record Details

NHER Number:9760
Type of record:Building
Name:Keswick Hall


Keswick Hall was built in 1817 by William Wilkins for the Gurney family and extended in 1839. This gault brick Regency style building was used as the Norwich Training College after World War Two and many new buildings were added to the teacher training centre in the 1950s. It was sold in the 1980s and has been converted into flats. The Hall appears to have been requisitioned during World War Two, see NHER 52020 for details.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2084 0418
Map Sheet:TG20SW

Full description

March 1979. Visit.
White brick, three storeys, seven bays, three bay pediment. Inside, central tripartite room with square scagliola pillars according to (S1). Square pilastered porch on north. To west large bow-fronted portion with one bay side pieces. (S1) ascribes this to 1817, by Wilkins. The older portion seems late 18th century. Surprisingly, a document in the possession of the owners of Keswick Old Hall gives the date of the whole building as around 1830 to 1840. This, however, cannot be correct; according to Norfolk Record Office there is a book by a Mr Johnson entitled 'Keswick Hall 1817 to 1957' ((S1) source?) and the style of the bow-front is very unlikely to be post 1830, though the 18th century part might conceivably have been built that late - but it seems certainly older than the bow. Hall is now surrounded by college buildings of the 1950s.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 March 1979.

History of college (S2) in file gives apparently conclusive evidence for construction in 1817. (S2) includes photo of college chapel interior.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 June 1981.

October 1987. Listed, Grade II.
1817 with extensions of 1839.
See (S3) for the complete listing description.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 November 1998.

March 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The aerial photographs dating to the 1940s consulted during the NMP project indicated that the Hall appears to have been requisitioned for use as a military camp or headquarters during World War Two, see NHER 52020 for details. This presumably takes place after the death of Mrs Gurney, the then inhabitant of the hall, in 1940.
S. Horlock (NMP), 24 March 2009.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1948 AD to 1981 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2004 F-G,J-K,L-N.
---Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 452-453.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Route change for city bypass. 21 July.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 217.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. College in process of disappearing. 16 June.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Police moves on Keswick Hall. 5 October.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1983. Home built at Keswick by Gurneys. 23 December.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1984. Yours for £2 1/2 million!. 9 March.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Homes plan for Keswick Hall. 2 May.
<S3>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306331.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service