Record Details

NHER Number:9707
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Keswick


The present church stands close to the site of an earlier church that was demolished in 1597. Only the round tower and ruined parts of the chancel and nave still survive. The round tower was reused in the present church which was built, perhaps originally as a mortuary chapel, between 1893 and 1898 by Herbert Green. A Neolithic flaked flint axehead has been found in the churchyard.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2139 0471
Map Sheet:TG20SW

Full description

March 1979. Visit.
Demolished in 1597. Round tower of uncertain date, tall and narrow, containing some bricks that might be Roman but could also be medieval; one tile roofs a putlog hole. West side of tower has been left rough inside the later nave, but the top of the tower arch has been rebuilt in brick, and the belfry stage is also new; this is of 1893 according to (S1). Ruins of east wall of chancel with hole of a pointed window, which looks as if it may have been knocked through to the ground, and blocked up again. Possible mark of piscina on stump of south wall. Most of north wall remains with no windows: remains also of dividing wall north of chancel arch, showing arch was narrow, and short stub of nave north wall, containing some bricks claimed Roman by J.V.S. Megaw and Mr Colquhon (Ordnance Survey), but apparently medieval. Present nave, apse and vestry said by (S2) to have been built as a mortuary chapel in 1894, but by (S1) to be of 1898, stands between tower and ruins.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 March 1979.

Neolithic chipped axe found in churchyard.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S3) describes original belfry of tower as having Y-tracery windows (around 1300) and battlements.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 August 1980.

(S4) states that materials from the demolished church were used to restore Intwood Church.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 October 1998.

(S5) gives a date of 1893 for the rebuilding by Herbert Green. Both the present church and the ruins to the east are separately listed, both Grade II.
E. Rose (NLA) 18 November 1998.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Davie, W. C. 1864. The Churches of Intwood and Keswick. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 252-256.
---Aerial Photograph: TG2104 A,G-K.
---Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050545.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 SW 2 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988-1992. [Photograph and illustration of All Saints' Church, Keswick].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 452.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Keswick.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 217.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council, Planning. 1998. Ketts Country, rural wanderings between Norwich and Wymondham..
<S5>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050544.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service