Record Details

NHER Number:9415
Type of record:Building
Name:Colney Hall


Colney Hall was built between 1767 and 1781 and was extended in 1834. A Victorian to Tudor wing was added in the late 19th century. The demolition of more than half of the building around 1960 removed the Victorian wing but also some of the original building including its top storey. The house was then remodelled in neo-colonial style. There is a very fine 18th century orangery. Inside this glass building is a grotto including a tunnel made of artificial rock which dates to the 19th century. Analysis of aerial photographs of the garden showed parch marks of earlier garden layouts.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1707 0822
Map Sheet:TG10NE

Full description

October 1976. Visited.
Noted by (S1) as a house beautified in late 18th century, extended in 19th century, reduced in size and reorganised about 1960. Demolished portion was to northeast. Renewals very well carried out; where demolished wing joined, a Roman Doric colonade has been made, extending round northwest front, perhaps incorporating older work. Oldest parts of house appear early 18th century; southwest front has flat corner pilasters rusticated on ground floor, and string course; but porch added here with marble columns and balustrade, and line of terracotta gargoyles. On southwest an odd little 19th century porch. Northwest corner is very fine 18th century conservatory with composite pilasters, inside a grotto of artificial rock, 19th century. Excellent condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 October 1976.

1990. NAU air photography.
Parch marks of earlier garden layout in grounds of Hall
D. Edwards (NAU), 30 October 1990

Development of hall is more complex than above notes suggest. First built between 1767-1781, it was extended in 1834, then the Victorian to Tudor wing added in the late 19th century. The demolition around 1960 removed not only this wing but also a third of the width of the original building, and its top storey. The present projecting quoined bay was once paired by another. For the original appearance see (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 3 January 1991.

January 1998. South Norfolk District Council report that the grotto has been partly removed due to dry rot which threatens the remainder.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 January 1998.

This is disputed by source [1] who says grotto is of rockwork and thus cannot rot! It was part removed without permission; further work has been stopped.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 March 1998.

Detailed report on grotto by source [1] states it is of Pulhamite and may have been entered by an artificial tunnel from the exterior terrace.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 16 April 1998.

15 October 1993. NLA air photography (S5).
Cropmarks cannot be seen.
H. Clare (NLA), 20 February 2001.

15 October 1993. NLA air photography (S6).
Due to scale and angle of photographs the cropmarks are not visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 20 February 2001.

February 2009.
Permission sought for the conversion of the vinery, potting sheds and studio to a research and development, education and training facility. Minor internal alterations only.
See (S7).
H. White (NLA), 7 April 2009

Monument Types

  • ORANGERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (18th Century to 19th Century - 1767 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1767 AD to 1960 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1708 N,R-T.
---Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.
---Designation: Listed Building Consent.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 269.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. New owner is planning restoration. 17 October.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 123.
<S2>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Unknown. Preliminary Evaluation of Grotto and rockwork features.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 1608,Y.
<S6>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 1708W,X.
<S7>Unpublished Document: 2009. Design and Access Statement. Ancillary Buildings Adjoining Walled Garden, Colney Hall..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service