|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Marlingford|
This church has a Norman south door. The west tower is in Decorated style. The chancel dates to 1816 and the north aisle was rebuilt in 1881. The stained glass in the south window in the chancel depicts Faith and Charity. It was created in 1905 by Powell and Sons. The design may be based on a cartoon.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1271 0832|
|Parish:||MARLINGFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
North aisle was long in ruins, but rebuilt 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU).
Norman south doorway. Unbuttressed west tower, Decorated, of knapped flint. Two bay north arcade, Decorated. Chancel 1816, north aisle 1881. Font octagonal of Purbeck marble, 13th century. Commandment board a large hand coloured early 19th century engraving. Hourglass stand in nave northeast corner. Monument to Nathaniel Life, 1727. Stained glass south chancel by Powell and Sons from a holiday cartoon? Around 1905 Faith and Charity.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 13 June 2006.
2 July 2007.
North wall of previous chancel noted in drainage trench, see file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 July 2007.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1208J, A-C. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Illustration of St Mary's Church, Marlingford]. 21 September. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 165-174. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 1208Q - R, V, X. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: 1980. Marlingford Church. |
|---||Leaflet: Tom Williamson. 1996. The Parish Church of St. Mary, Marlingford, Norfolk.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 534. |
Related records - none
Find out more...