Record Details

NHER Number:9280
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Colton

Summary

The church was mostly built between 1300 and 1500 and has been restored. Most of the tower dates to the late 13th century but the top part is 15th century. The nave is mostly in Decorated style. The church originally had aisles but they were removed to widen the nave. Inside there is a 14th century wall painting depicting the vice of gossiping, behind a fine west gallery and organ installed in 1884/5. A Roman coin and a 'Norman tile' may have been found here.

Images

  • St Andrew's Church, Colton.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1044 0932
Map Sheet:TG10NW
Parish:MARLINGFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

According to [1], (S1) mentions the finding of a Roman coin and a 'Norman tile' at the church. Further details awaited.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 February 2000.

All of around 1300 to 1500 but over restored. Unbuttressed tower with flushwork panelled battlements. The top stage must be 15th century. Nave and chancel. One north window has curvilinear tracery which seems to be original. The rest all Decorated in style too. The church originally had aisles, but the arcades were removed at some time to widen the nave. The roof is 17th century type. 14th century wall painting of two seated women talking to one another. Little devils push them together. The scene represents the vice of gossiping.
Information from (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 13 June 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1009A, B.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 57-63.
---Publication: pre-2007. Colton. St Andrew's Church, Colton.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: 2007?. St Andrew's Church, Colton, Norfolk.
---Illustration: Batchelor, R.. 1995. St Andrew's Church, Colton, Norfolk.
---Illustration: Batchelor, R.. 1995. Pew end. St Andrew's Colton, Norfolk.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Church organ 'back home'. 6 July.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Journal of Colton Church 1937 to 1945.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 269-270.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service