|Type of record:||Building|
This 18th and 19th century part brick and part timber-framed and weatherboarded watermill was originally used for grinding corn. It was later converted into an early hydroelectric power generator. It is now used as workshops.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1287 0834|
|Parish:||MARLINGFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Watermill. Marked on (S1).
After corn grinding ceased, had early hydroelectric device (information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society).
(S2) notes as now workshops. 18th and 19th century. Part brick and part timber framed and weatherboarded. Irregular, three and four storeyed with attics. Many cast iron windows survive. Wheel pit to east with arched braced jettied gable over. Two 18th century roofs. Fragmentary remains of chutes, bins and the electric turbine.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 March 1985.
- POWER STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1208A-C, K, L,. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Illustration of Marlingford Mill]. 20 June. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 1208Q - R, V, X. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Photograph of Marlingford Mill]. 23 May. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 535. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050708. |
Related records - none
Find out more...