Record Details

NHER Number:9242
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman ditch and finds

Summary

Ploughing revealed pieces of Roman pot. Subsequent excavation in 1949 recorded a shallow silted-up ditch. This contained 3rd to 4th century Roman pot, hazel remains, a coin of Constantius II minted around 345 to 350, bones and charcoal.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 131 087
Map Sheet:TG10NW
Parish:MARLINGFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1949. Ploughing 800m (1/2 mile) north northeast of Mill on west bank of Yare.
Revealed Roman pottery.

September 1949. Trial excavation by G. Larwood for Norfolk Research Committee.
Four sections cut across shallow silted up ditch. Pottery found in clayey alluvial silt over channel about 3m (10 feet) wide which contained hazel remains. Pottery mainly 3rd to 4th century, 3AE coin of Constantius II minted around 345 to 350. Pottery, coin, bones charcoal.
See (S1) and (S2).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Mortarium base found in 1949.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 NW 5 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Marlingford.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: Norfolk Research Committee. 1950. Archaeological Research in Norfolk. Archaeological Newsletter. Vol 3 No 2 pp 38-39. p 38.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Larwood, G.P.. 1949. Marlingford Trial Excavations September 1949.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service