Record Details

NHER Number:8887
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Runhall


All Saint’s Church at Runhall is situated down a maze of winding lanes, with only a few houses to accompany the large and distinctly boxy nave and the round tower. This visual contradiction is largely due to the fact that it is without a chancel; the original was destroyed by fire in the 17th century and blocked off. The shadowy remains of the walls can still be seen attached to the east end.
The main body of the church is 13th to 15th century in date. The north and south doorways of the nave date to around 1300, as does the window next to the north door. From the outside, the scale of the north and south windows at the east end can be seen, massively Perpendicular in style and dating to the 14th or 15th century. Inside is a rare and exciting door surviving in the base of the tower. It is wooden, bound and studded with ironwork, the earliest of which has been dated to the 12th century, and this may be the first and original tower door. Also of interest is a 14th century font with quatrefoil patterns, and a coloured image niche that is probably contemporary with it.


  • All Saints' Church, Runhall  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0579 0691
Map Sheet:TG00NE

Full description

Round tower ?13th century. Reused Norman material. Church 13th to 15th century. Chancel demolished.
See report and photo in secondary file (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.

Listed Grade II*.

Reassessed 1987. New report in file (S2).
Very important early 12th century ironwork reset on tower door. 19th century 'aisled hall' interior.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 November 1987.

25 March 2006. Casual find in churchyard.
Two medieval sherds.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BELL (16th Century to 21st Century - 1513 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0506A-F.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 188-193.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1735.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 621.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. A round in Garvestone. 7 August.
---Leaflet: All Saints Church, Runhall..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Photograph: BVA 1.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Site report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1987. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service