|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Hardingham Watermill|
This is the site of a post medieval watermill shown on Faden's map of 1797. The mill was rebuilt in the 1830s, and was burned down during the filming of 'The Shuttered Room' in 1966. A tower mill was also added on this site in 1820, replacing the one at site NHER 15273, and was in use until 1908.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0485 0619|
|Parish:||HARDINGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Marked on (S1); rebuilt in 1836, three storeys, six bays in brick with wooden sack hoist above, and plaque on gable. Weatherboarded two storey extension with sack hoist. Deliberately burnt down in making a film in 1966 after owner refused to preserve it. A tower windmill was added in 1820 replacing the one at site NHER 15273, and worked until 1908.
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU) 4 February1982.
Informant  states that this mill was anciently in Runhall parish. He believes the windmill stood on the ring ditch, NHER 18820 for which he quotes (S2); but in fact the scale is so small it is impossible to be certain.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 July 1999.
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Mill House provides ideal family lifestyle. 5 October. |
|---||Photograph: Unknown. 1966. Fire at Hardingham Watermill. print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...