Record Details

NHER Number:8654
Type of record:Building
Name:Filby House or Hall


A mid 18th century hall, which was extensively altered in 1833. The hall is surrounded by walled gardens, and in its grounds there is a small Gothick building known as The Orangery (NHER 63798). The house is listed Grade II, as is The Orangery and one of the garden walls (NHER 63729).


  • Gothick summerhouse in the ground of Filby House complete with pinnacles.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 4680 1341
Map Sheet:TG41SE

Full description

Filby House.
Two listed structures in the grounds of the house are now recorded separately - a former carriage house (now summerhouse) as NHER 63798 and a length of brick garden wall running south from the house as NHER 63729.

February 1952. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"House. Mid 18th century with additions 1833. Brick. Black glazed pantiles to north side, slate to south. North façade of two storeys and dormer attic in seven bays…One bay, two-storey, extension leads from west of facade into 1833 addition of one storey and dormer attic…South façade re-faced 1833 with gault brick. Two storeys in seven bays, arranged 3-1-3…West wing extends for four bays. Two storeys…"
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 27 November 2019.

Described by (S2) as Georgian.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU) 18 November 1986.
Information from (S3).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 27 November 2019.

September 1999. Field Observation.
Filby House and grounds visited by E. Rose (NLA) 30 September 1999.
It should also be noted that whilst only one garden wall, running south from the house, is listed (NHER 63729), there are a number of fine 19th-century garden walls. Also, (S2) does not mention the ornate fanlights to the main north and south doors of the house.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 1 October 1999.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 27 November 2019.

September 2005. Norfolk NMP.
An earthwork a possible ha ha of is visible in the grounds of Filby Hall on aerial photographs (S4) and (S5). The ha ha defines the edge of a lawn to the south of Filby Hall separating it from a less formal area of the grounds. It follows a zigzag course for a total of 190m between TG 46755 13295 and TG 46880 13300. This feature is not shown on the second edition 25" to the mile Ordnance Survey map (S6) and may be a 20th century garden feature replacing an earlier drainage ditch. Because of its potentially modern date it was not mapped by the NMP.
J. Albone (NMP), 22 September 2005.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HA HA? (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Sale advertisement for Filby Hall]. 11 July.
---Photograph: JLY 28-32.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 469.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1227785.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 133.
<S3>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S4>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1634 1044-5 09-JUL-1946 (NHER TG 4613B / TG 4713A).
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Limited. 1965. MAL 65033 022-023 26-APR-1965 (NMR).
<S6>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902 - 1907. Ordnance Survey Second Edition 25" (1902-1907) Sheet LXVI.1.

Related records

63729Parent of: Garden wall at Filby House (Monument)
63798Parent of: Summerhouse and carriage house at Filby House ('The Orangery') (Building)
MNO2998Related to: Filby House Old Yarmouth Road FILBY (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service