Record Details

NHER Number:8621
Type of record:Building
Name:Burgh St Margaret Drainage Mill


An early 19th century brick drainage mill, converted to a house in the 1960s and later developed to form part of various business uses.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4181 1198
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

Drainage mill.
Brick tower mill, converted to observation gallery for attached weatherboarded restaurant, by addition of large room at top with roof imitating old mill cap.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU) 15 November 1978.

Shown as Burgh Mill on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU)

Apparently the mill established in 1804 at the enclosure of the common, blown down in 1840, and rebuilt by the Drainage Commissioners from the top of the door upwards, to carry patent sails and self winding gear, over 9 metres high to curb. See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 28 Jan 2000.

Work here by William T. England in 1896. Pit wheel later transferred to Ashtree Mill. (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG41/X - AB.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Publication: Wade-Martins, S. & Williamson, T.. 1999. Roots of Change. p 150.
<S3>Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 23.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service