Record Details

NHER Number:8620
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Billockby


A medieval parish church, dating mainly to the 15th century. The church is now mostly in ruins after the roof of the nave collapsed during a storm in 1762. The chancel is still is use, and was restored in the late 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4297 1358
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

Nave and tower in ruins, south porch abandoned, chancel still in use.
Chancel thatched, rough flint with brick edged putlog holes.
Decorated north window seems basically original; east and 2 south windows Y tracery and intersected, and south door, all seem much later, note the differences in flintwork around them, perhaps 17th or 18th century.
Chancel mentioned as in use 1762.
Interior all recent except Perpendicular font.
Tower of flint pebbles, has remains of Decorated west window and many open putlog holes.
Nave Perpendicular, knapped flint and flushwork including monogram and bramble like forms, on base and by tops of windows. Remains of Perpendicular tracery in windows; external headstops. Ruined rood stair on north. Open putlog holes. West wall of nave of inferior quality but same date. Jambs of chancel arch remain; blocking of brick and flint with many stone blocks; bell above. Traces of piscina inside south door. Doorways wider inside than out. South porch still
with ogee niche over, no side windows, thatched.
Some tracery fragments outside chancel door in flower bed.
Chalice and paten cover, Norwich 1567.
See (S1).
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 15 November 1978.

The nave was ruined by the fall of the roof during a storm 15 July 1762. The chancel survived having been reroofed in 1737. The chancel was restored in 1872.
See (S2) for full details.
E. Rose (NLA) 8 January 1996.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4213A, B.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 SW 10.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 389.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Thieves take church bell. 20 February.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundreds of East and West Flegg. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 56-60.
---Article in Serial: Ashley, S., Penn, K. & Rogerson, A.. 2011. Rhineland Lava in Norfolk Churches. Church Archaeology. vol 13, pp 27-33. p 31.
---Photograph: All Saints, Billockby. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051016.
<S2>Article in Serial: Bent, F.. 1995. The Ruined Churches of the Fleggs.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 17.

Related records

MNO5120Related to: Church of All Saints Billockby FLEGGBURGH (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service