|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
This is the site of a post medieval windmill, shown on Bryant's map of 1826. The mill was converted to steam power, and was last used in the 1920s. The buildings were demolished in 1940.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4436 1425|
|Parish:||FLEGGBURGH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Windmill (Ordnance Survey).
No trace remains.
It was marked on (S1).
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 15 November 1978.
A tower mill, shown on (S2); converted to steam and last used 1922.
Information from source .
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.
See (S3), milling ceased 1924: steam was only auxiliary; top demolished 1924 and remainder 1940.
Source  is more likely to be correct.
E. Rose (NAU)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Map: Brown, J. T. & Manning, J.. 1838. Burgh St Margaret Tithe Map. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 186. |
Related records - none
Find out more...