Record Details

NHER Number:8609
Type of record:Building
Name:Hermitage Drainage Mill and associated cottage


The truncated remains of a brick drainage mill, adapted by the late 1930s to form part of an electric pumping station. A windmill is recorded on this site from the 1799 Acle Enclosure map onwards. There is an associated millman's cottage with later extension.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4135 1098
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

Drainage mill.
Only bottom two storeys of brick tower remain, 18th or 19th century.
Weatherboarded extension over sluice, which must have covered the scoop wheel, now houses a petrol engine.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 November 1978.

The base of the mill is built of header bond brickwork and is splayed at the bottom.
It has a door to the west and one to the east blocked; the interior is empty.
The attached pump is officially Hermitage pumping station.
The mill is shown on (S1) but not on (S2).
The adjacent house first appears on (S3) and is of two periods of post 1780 brickwork.
E. Rose, (NAU) 17 January 2001.

July 2009.
Existing house to be demolished and replaced by a new house.
See (S4) for further details
H. White (NLA), 6 July 2009

October 2010. Site visit.
Windmill first mapped on 1799 Acle Enclosure Map (S5). The 1938 OS map (S6) shows a long building (presumably an engine house) adjoining the tower to the east. No remains of this are visible although the base of a later building to the south is. The weatherboarded extention referred to above (1978) has now been now removed and the opening blocked in.
The mill tower remains are now redundant and in poor condition. Function replaced by modern submersible pumps with switch gear housed in metal cabinet to west of mill.
A. Yardy (HES), 26 October 2010.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1799 AD to 2100 AD)
  • MARSHMANS COTTAGE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1799 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG4111/AC - AF.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1938. 25" OS.
<S6>Map: 1799. Acle Enclosure Map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service