Record Details

NHER Number:8491
Type of record:Building
Name:St Protase's and St Gervase's Church, Little Plumstead

Summary

A parish church, with a dedication unique in England to the Saints of St Protase and St Gervase. The church has a Norman round tower, nave and other Norman architectural details. The base of the tower may date to the Late Saxon period. Parts of the fabric of the building were renewed in the 17th century, and the church was extensively restored in the 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3074 1085
Map Sheet:TG31SW
Parish:GREAT AND LITTLE PLUMSTEAD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
LITTLE PLUMSTEAD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

St Protase's and St Gervase's Church, Little Plumstead
A unique dedication in Britain.

September 1962. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Parish church, medieval and later. Flint with brick and stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Two-stage round tower belonging to the Saxo-Norman overlap. The top stage narrower and probably later. Circular squint on western segment with single lancet above. 19th-century single-light belfry openings and battlemented parapet. Nave three bays with two Perpendicular three-light windows each side of nave, with blocked 13th-century arch on north to west, and semi-circular arched opening with billet moulding, and 18th-century raised and fielded six-panel door to south. Late medieval brick porch with double chamfered entrance and two-light windows to east and west. Single bay chancel with 18th-century brickwork on north side and three-light 19th-century Perpendicular windows to south and east. Interior mainly 19th century. Relocated military brass for Sir Edward Warner, died 1565. Monument to Thomas Pentice and Mrs Pentice, died 1829 by W. Hardy. Glass fragments of various dates and sources in the south chancel window."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 3 May 2021.

February 1978. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
According to (S2), (S3) claims the round tower has 2 small circular double splayed openings, and probably contains pre Conquest material. However there is only one circular opening, to west, which inside becomes triangular. Above it is a narrow lancet. The top of the tower has been renewed, including bell openings. Tower arch is pointed. The tower is described as Norman in (S4), but base with window opening could be Late Saxon. Nave north wall rebuilt in 17th century brick, containing a reset small stone window, possibly Norman. Further west is jumble of stone lumps, brick and flint with top of stone arch at lower level than windows, remains of rood turret?, but wide for this. North door is Norman inside, small and pointed outside and blocked. South door has Norman hoodmould above. South porch has double round headed lancets, blocked on north but renewed on both sides, and entrance arch of brick; whole thing probably 17th century. All nave and chancel windows 19th century. Fine brass of 1565. Very large early 19th century monument. Several hatchments. 19th century plaques including communion plaque on east wall (unusual). Medieval brass plaque on ledger stone. 18th century baluster font outside south door, old stained glass. Chalice, Norwich 1567; paten cover.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU). Information from (S5).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 3 May 2021.

In 1830 painted panels, possible from a rood screen were found bricked up in wall and sent to Blicking Hall, see (S6).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU). Information from (S5).

November 2011. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of excavation of trial pits within footprint of proposed extension to north of church.
One revealed a north-to-south aligned wall likely to have been part of the former north chapel. A similarly-aligned band of flints and mortar to the west potentially represented the remains of another wall near the blocked north doorway in the north wall of the nave.
As part of these investigation small areas of plaster were also removed from the interior of the blocked doorway. This demonstrated that the present rear arch is a modern feature, set within the original, wider arch. It probably dates to the 1905 restoration of the church and consists of masonry jambs with a timber arch.
Information from report uploaded to OASIS. HER copy awaited.
See NHER 64891 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 3 May 2021.


2012.
Fundraiser held to raise money in order to build extension and community facilities.
See local press article (S7).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 13 August 2012.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 19th Century - 851 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3010A-C.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 588-589.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051528.
<S2>Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Plumstead (Great and Little).
<S3>Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II.
<S4>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 184-185.
<S5>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S6>Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 185.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Church gets ready for new extension. 18 August.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service