Record Details

NHER Number:8428
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval tower corn windmill


A post mill is marked in this position on Faden's map of Norfolk published in 1797. This was replaced by a tower mill in 1812. The tarred brick four storey tower has an aluminium roof and still contained much of the machinery in 1986 when it was being used as a diesel powered mill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3396 1947
Map Sheet:TG31NW

Full description

Windmill (Ordnance Survey).
Postmill shown on (S1). Replaced by tower mill before 1817. Last turned by wind 1916.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.

May 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Built 1812. Tarred brick tower, aluminium roof, four storeys, tapering. Doors east and west. Alternating windows on cardinal points. Two pairs cross trees and great spur wheel survive, sack meal chutes, hoppers, sack hoist chain and belt drives. Upright shaft on first floor, second and third empty. Curb track intact. Still in use as diesel powered mill.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1986.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) POST MILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1797 AD to 1812 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1812 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 31 NW 2.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2004. Neatishead towermill. 31 May 2017.
---Photograph: 1946. Photograph of Neatishead tower corn windmill, Neatishead. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049918.

Related records

MNO6419Related to: Neatishead Mill Horning Road NEATISHEAD (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service