|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible manorial site boundary|
Cropmarks of an enclosure boundary and other ditches relating to the former manor site are visible on aerial photographs.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3942 2606|
|Parish:||INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Linear soilmarks on Ordnance Survey aerial photograph 72.111.073 seen A.K. Gregory (NAU), 1976.
Also NAU aerial photograph.
E. Rose (NAU).
June 2004. Norfolk NMP
The grid reference for this site has been changed to TG39472602 from the old national grid reference TG39302585.
Some cropmarks from this site are now also recorded as NHER 38573 and 38574.
Cropmarks of a boundary and other related ditches, probably belonging to the former manor at the Old Hall, are visible on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3). The boundary is visible as a double ditch extending from the southeast corner of the churchyard for 140m to the southeast along the line of a modern footpath. It continues for a further 210m to the southeast of a small field before turning to the northeast at TG39522586. From this point the outer ditch continues for 130m with up to four ditches running parallel to its northwest. The ditch is obscured by an area of different soil type or geology before reappearing as a broad single ditch that extended to the corner of Bluebell Wood at TG39692615. From this point the boundary may have turned northwest along the north side of Bluebell Wood following the line of an extant drain to Fishpond Shrubbery. The area defined by these ditches is subdivided by a regular pattern of broad and narrow ditches on a similar alignment. Some of these ditches, including one which crosses the boundary at TG39442589, are probably of post-medieval date (S1)-(S3). The area enclosed by the boundary ditch is also crossed by the cropmark of a medieval ditch-defined road (NHER 38573) that was moved when the adjacent Trinitarian priory (NHER 8220) was founded in the 14th century.
It is possible that this double ditched enclosure represents the priory precinct, incorporating a larger area than had previously been considered (S4). This would make it more likely that buildings belonging to the priory were present at the Old Hall, which lies within this enclosure (See NHER 8253). However, discussion with the author of (S4) suggests that this unlikely to be the case, with the area defined by the ditches relating to the manor not the priory.
See also adjacent cropmarks NHER 38572, 38573, 38574, 38567, 38542, 38543, Priory NHER 8220, Barns NHER 8253
J. Albone (NMP), 11 June 2004.
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- MONASTIC PRECINCT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS AP 72.111.073, Unit TG3926G, L. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1976. NHER TG 3926F (NLA 32/AGC25) 13-JUL-1976. |
|<S2>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1976. NHER TG 3926G-K (32/AGD1-4) 13-JUL-1976. |
|<S3>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1976. NHER TG 3925N (NLA 32/AGC24) 13-JUL-1976. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Pestell, T.J.. 1991. The Archaeology of Ingham Priory: A Case Study with Reference to the Trinitarian Order in Britain. |
|12820||Related to: Possible site of medieval fair (Monument)|
Find out more...