Record Details

NHER Number:8253
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall and barns

Summary

The Old Hall probably mostly dates to 1905 with some 19th century work but it may incorporate an earlier house. It contains reset fragments of two Decorated windows and a 14th century double squint. These were probably reused from the Priory or could be part of a chapel from an earlier house on the same site. The boundary wall contains some very rare World War Two gun ports. The adjoining flint and brick barns mostly date to the late 17th to 19th centuries. One of them incorporates the wall of an earlier building.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3940 2612
Map Sheet:TG32NE
Parish:INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1976. Visit.
Old Hall. Mostly of 1905 with some 19th century work, but contains reset fragments of two Decorated windows and a 14th century double squint. Former probably brought from Priory ruins but squint could be part of chapel of earlier house. Now a nursing home. Good flint and brick farm buildings to road.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 April 1976.

According to (S1) the squint, now in the kitchen, formerly led to a blocked up room with an altar and a credence table, discovered (and presumably destroyed) in 1905. Other rooms produced blocked up oriels, a Jacobean mantelshelf in the kitchen, and 'old work' in the cellars. The bedroom walls were found to have been painted with shields. Presumably all these were destroyed.
E. Rose (NAU).

Wall to lane, to west of 19th century barns, has three or four gun ports presumably from World War Two (compare Pulham Market old rectory).
E. Rose (NAU), 17 November 1983.

Four very rare 1940 loopholes cut into boundary wall of Ingham Old Hall by gate.
See (S2).
D. Walker (NLA) July 1996.

(S1) information is mainly from reference (S3) which should be consulted; it shows the original house may well remain, having only been altered in 1905. Needs detailed examination.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 May 1992

(S4) dates the barns to the late 17th to mid 18th centuries; flint and brick, three barns with slit windows and arch braced tiebeams.

Barns inspected by E. Rose (NLA) February 1998. In fact the three barns are 17th, 18th and 19th century, one for each period, but one gable wall probably derives from an older building on the site. There is also an 18th century stable and 19th century outbuildings.
See (S5) in file.

The house itself is not listed.

August 1997.
Architectural fragments noted, reused in rear garden wall on either side of shed door.
Photographed, but film subsequently mislaid (sent to NAU in error) and not located.
D. Gurney (NLA), 15 September 1998.

April 2004. Norfolk NMP
The Old Hall and its barns lie within a cropmark enclosure that probably represents the priory's precinct boundary (See NHER 8258).
J. Albone (NMP), 27 April 2004.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LOOPHOLED WALL (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HKL 19-23.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 576.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Ingham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Happing. The Churches of Norfolk.
<S2>Recording Form: [various]. Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey Recording Form. Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey.
<S3>Article in Serial: Bolingbroke, L. 1907. Notes on Ingham Old Hall. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XVI pp 197-204.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373719.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service