Record Details

NHER Number:8247
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ingham Mill

Summary

Ingham Mill is a brick tower mill that was adapted for use by the Royal Observer Corps as an observation post in 1934 and was used during World War Two. Nissen huts and other buildings associated with its World War Two use are visible on aerial photographs. An underground post was constructed in 1959 and remained operational until 1991.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3929 2520
Map Sheet:TG32NE
Parish:INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
SUTTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Windmill. Brick tower of tower mill, with odd vertical section added to top of 'cone'.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 April 1976.

Marked by (S1) (or an earlier one on site); called Ingham Mill.
E. Rose (NAU).

Tower mill 'new built'. Replaced 1872. Last used 1933. Used as Royal Observer Corps post from 1934 to 1959 when it went underground.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.

(S2) states underground room closed down in 1991, interior not seen. The earlier material in the windmill includes instrument mountings, furniture, cooking utensils. Internal steps rotting, replaced by external ladder.
E. Rose (NAU), July 2000.

March 2004. Norfolk NMP.
Buildings associated with the use of the former windmill as a Royal Observer Corps post during World War Two are visible on 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S3). The original grid reference for the site, which relates to the windmill, has been retained. A Nissen hut and another building were located 90m to the east of the windmill at TG39242512. To the east of Mill Farm, centred on TG39392520 were two extant buildings and marks from the concrete bases of four others. It is likely that these buildings were also associated with the observation post. Another isolated building, which may also belong to the post was located to the north of the farm at TG39302529. The function of all of these buildings is not known, but they are likely to have included the plotting room and accomodation for the site. A pit, possibly a weapons pit, was located to the north of the farm driveway at TG39182518 (S3). The windmill and Royal Observer Corps Cold War underground post are shown on 1994 NLA oblique aerial photographs (S4).
J. Albone (NMP), 22 March 2004

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1934 AD to 1968 AD)
  • MILITARY BUILDING (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • NISSEN HUT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • OBSERVATION POST (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • WEAPONS PIT? (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS MONITORING POST (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1959 AD to 1991 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Article in Serial: Catford, N.. 1999. ROC Underground Posts in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. pp 59ff.
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1634 2096-7 09-JUL-1946 (Norfolk SMR TG 3824A / TG 3924A).
<S4>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. NHER TG 3925E-H (NLA 343/HVW12-3) 19-JUL-1994.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service