|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric worked flints|
Fieldwalking on this site has recovered many prehistoric worked flints including three Neolithic polished flint axes, and a prehistoric blade. Prehistoric burnt flint and some medieval pottery fragments have also been recovered.
|Grid Reference:||TG 37 26|
|Parish:||BRUMSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1953. 0.4km (1/4 mile) south-southeast of Oldbarn Farm. Axhead Field.
Polished flint axehead - grey flint, (S1).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Polished flint axehead found in arable field. Cutting edge missing.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
I.D. P. Robins (NCM) 1 August 1994.
W. Milligan (NCM) 10 April 1995.
1998. Surface find.
Neolithic polished flint axe, (S2).
I.D. P. Robins (NCM), August 1998.
K. Sussams (NLA), 13 May 1999.
1998-1999. Metal detecting and field walking.
Two flints, undatable prehistoric
1) Thick, small secondary flake edge damage, possibly accidental.
2) Small, sharp retouched blade, steeply retouched across oblique distal end. Negligible patination.
I.D. P. Robins (NCM).
One sherd, probably a base, glazed medieval.
I.D. A. Rogerson (NLA).
Twelve calcined flints 'pot boilers'.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 16 September 1999.
- FINDSPOT (Lower Palaeolithic to Medieval - 1000000 BC to 1539 AD)
- BLADE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Brumstead . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Clarke, R.. 1954. Drawing of a Neolithic polished flint axe.. Card. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Robins, P.. 1998. Drawing of a Neolithic polished flint axe.. Paper. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...