Record Details

NHER Number:7917
Type of record:Monument
Name:Round Well obelisk

Summary

This 19th century obelisk was possibly built by French prisoners of war. It comprises a brick and flint base and a yellow brick obelisk which has an urn on top. It was restored in 1981.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1686 1038
Map Sheet:TG11SE
Parish:COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1978.
Yellow brick obelisk surmounted by urn, chamfered to base with flint rustication. Iron wheel on one side; basin to collect flow of water: door into base bricked up about ?1800, cracked, though surrounding island recently restored.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1978.

1981.
Said to have been built by French prisoners of war, 1820.
Dismantled and rebuilt with original materials but over core of modern brick.
(S1) and (S2), in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 October 1981.

Monument Types

  • OBELISK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Vincent and Gorbing Chartered Architects and Town Planners. 2003. Distinctive features in the vicinity of Lodge Farm, Costessey.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Costessey's crumbling well gets cash help. 10 January.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1981. [Article on the restoration of the Roundwell monument at Costessey]. 8 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service