|Type of record:||Building|
Costessey Hall was first built in 1564. During the 19th century it was greatly extended and extravagantly rebuilt in a Tudor style. It was partly demolished between 1910 and 1922. During World War Two it was used by the army and a landing strip for aircraft was laid out, although no evidence for this was identified on wartime aerial photographs. In the 1950s it fell into ruins and a only one ruinous section survives. See records NHER 54488-9 for details of medieval to post medieval earthworks within the area of the Park.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 163 112|
|Parish:||COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Remains of mansion, originally of 1564, much extended in 19th century. Fittings dispersed to many places including Morningthorpe Manor (site NHER 24538).
E. Rose (NAU), 22 January 1990.
Gothick chapel added about 1800. additions in 1826 and about 1830-60 in a Tudor style. Old part demolished 1910-22. Tower fell in 1950s, further collapse 1960s. During World War Two hall was used by army and a landing strip for obsersvation aircraft was laid out in front.
In 1997 all that survived was former kitchen block and a belfry.
D. Robertson (NLA), 9 September 2005.
August 2010. Norfolk NMP.
No convincing sign of the World War Two landing strip at this site could confidently be identified on aerial photographs from the 1940s (S4-S5). The only suitable linear features visible were paths within the Park and while it is feasible that these were being used as a temporary landing strip, no evidence for this was identified.
See records NHER 54488-9 for details of medieval to post medieval earthworks within the area of the Park.
S. Horlock (NMP), 18 August 2010.
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- AIRFIELD? (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG1611/U - Y. |
|---||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Evening News. 1990. Hidden secrets from the village mansion. 11 January. |
|---||Illustration: Gage, E.. 1993. Annotated copy of Survey 1880. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. The wonder of the dream palace. 29 November. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 271. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Costessey. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Hallmarks of a colourful past - Atmospheric ruins cast long historical shadows. 2 November. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1976. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Monument to the lost palace. 3 November. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: USAAF. 1944. US/7GR/LOC351 3034-5 27-MAY-1944 (NMR). |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/70 5094-5 28-FEB-1946 (NHER TG 1610A, TG 1710A). |
|MNO6255||Related to: Remains of Costessey Hall COSTESSEY (Revoked)|
Find out more...