Record Details

NHER Number:7904
Type of record:Building
Name:19th century watermill

Summary

A watermill was built over the River Wensum in 1858. A massive five storey brick building, it burnt down in 1924 and only a few low ruined walls survive. The accompanying miller's house survives intact. As there is a mill at the site on Faden's map of 1797, the watermill was built on the site of an earlier building.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1773 1274
Map Sheet:TG11SE
Parish:COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1978.
19th century white brick; only bases of ruined walls remain. Water still passes through. Red brick miller's house intact.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1978.

Earlier mill here marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

Watermill was rebuilt in 1870s. A windmill was built here 1816 and demolished about 1880 - information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 14 June 1982.

[2] says this is wrong, the windmill was at site NHER 18205.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 June 1982.

September 1985.
[3] stated that the red brick is only a facing to thick flint walls, in one of which a complete mouse skeleton was found in a cavity with no entrance, implying a deliberate walling up.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 September 1985.

1989.
Ruins repaired and stabilised when works on river carried out.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 May 1989.

1993.
(S2) in file states that mill was built in 1858 and burnt down 1924. Photograph shows a huge five storey ten bay building with gable wall of three bays, central having sack hoist.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 January 1993.

15 October 1993. NLA aerial photography.
Site visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 19 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERCOURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. [Letters to the editor about the history of watermill crossing the Wensum at Costessey].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service