Record Details

NHER Number:7826
Type of record:Building
Name:19th century windmill


A post medieval windmill. It was built in the early 19th century and was last used during the 1890s. It was restored and converted into a house during the early 1980s.


  • Honingham windmill.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 1016 1139
Map Sheet:TG11SW

Full description

July 1977. Visit.
Windmill. Derelict tower mill. Part of cap still in place. Retained its sails until 1950s according to a local man.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1977.

Marked on 1836 1 inch Ordnance Survey map (S1) but not on (S2).

Under restoration 1980 - conversion to house. Last worked in 1890s. Main shaft removed and sold abroad.
Marked on (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 10 February 1982.

Press cuttings (S4 to S6) in file.

The renovation and conversion were completed in 1981.
See (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 17 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 427.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Articles on the Broadland District Council's enhancement award for Honingham Mill].
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980-1981. [Articles on the conversion of Honingham Mill into a residential property].
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Photograph of windmill in 1972]. 26 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service