Record Details

NHER Number:7823
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Honingham

Summary

A medieval church that was greatly restored during the 19th century. Some of the windows date to the early 14th century and at least part of the tower is 15th century. The south porch features a piscina and inside the church are 16th century brasses and a number of 17th century monuments.

Images

  • St Andrew's Church, Honingham.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1141 1124
Map Sheet:TG11SW
Parish:HONINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1977. Visit.
West tower, flushwork battlements, seated evangelists as pinnacles.
Nave and chancel very renewed, windows as early Decorated. String course at level of base of windows, and at higher level on nave east wall each side of chancel. South porch with chamfering only at top of arch, small blocked windows, and fine angle-pillar-piscina. Interior inaccessible; (S1) mentions a monument of 1642 and chalice, London 1636 which he says was stolen. Churchyard has had all the tombstones marshalled in two straight lines.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1977.

Also two palimpsest brasses of 1544 and one of 1556. The windows have been restored as cusped Y-tracery, dating to about 1300 to 1320; the top of the tower seems Perpendicular, 15th century. (S2)'s print shows it as is now, except all windows intersected-tracery; but he is not too reliable on tracery, and the date would be the same (belfry windows now and on (S2) as Y-tracery about 1300). (S3) Says the 'tower top was restored recently' and mentions an altar stone formerly in the nave.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 October 1982.

Tower restored 1996. Press cutting (S4) in file.

Fabric 14th and 15th century in origin, but much renewed in 19th century.
For further information see listed description.
14th century font. Modern pews and screen (1927).
Information from (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 21 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Publication: [Unknown]. [unknown]. Palimpsests Behind 'Norfolk' Brasses (N).
---Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170701.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Lynchgate demolished. 8 November.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 427.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 206.
<S2>Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown].
<S3>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 138-150.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Joyous peal ends decade of silence for church. 26 June.
<S5>Monograph: Mortlock, D. and Roberts, C.. 1985. The Popular Guide To Norfolk Churches: No. 2. Norwich, Central and South Norfolk.. p 65.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service