Record Details

NHER Number:7660
Type of record:Building
Name:Oxnead Watermill


A mid 19th century watermill, on the site of an earlier building which is referred to from the early 18th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2278 2398
Map Sheet:TG22SW

Full description

Mill noted by (S1); brass in church to papermaker in parish 1747, mill shown by (S2).
Present building dated 1851.
Four storeys, iron framed windows, pantiled roof (except north bay, corrugated iron).
Originally a 3 gabled facade, north gables missing; central gable has weatherboarded panel where lucam removed.
To south, single storey brick wheelhouse with iron undershot wheel and later turbine.
Iron columns and posts to floors in main building, which has butt purlin roof.
See (S3).
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 10 May 1978

See (S4); mill made paper before 1716.
Advertisment of 1758 refers to materials being brought from Yarmouth by water.
In 1822 the mill was converted to make Duffield blankets.
Present 1851 building was said by owner in 1985 to have been a corn mill.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 September 1985.

Like most of the paper mills in Norfolk paper became unviable due to sale prices being pushed down by much larger, centralised mills and had to convert to other products.
See detailed plans and elevations in NIAS records (S5)
W. Arnold (HES) 02 Febuary 2011

Monument Types

  • SPINNING MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PAPER MILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1716 AD? to 1822 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Village of jackdaw legend. 9 May.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 636.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1744.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050957.
<S4>Article in Serial: Stoker, D. 1976. The Early History of Paper-making in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 241-252. p 244.
<S5>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service