|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Rippon Hall or Catte's Hall|
This manor house is mainly Victorian but there is an original 16th century wing of the original house hidden behind 19th century remodelling. The name Rippon Hall may derives from Ripton deserted medieval village which may be nearby. The name Catte's Hall comes from the former owner of Catt's Hill to the south. The 16th century red brick barn to the south of the hall is built with some material from the old manor. In 1847 a leather bottle and pitcher were found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2107 2254|
|Parish:||HEVINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Former name from Ripton deserted medieval village (on this site?): latter from former owner cf Catts Hill to south. Marked on (S1). (S2) says built with materials from St John's Chapel on parish church (NHER 7661). Rebuilt 1843.
Leather bottle and pitcher found.
10 May 1978. Visit.
This is a very good neo-Tudor house of brick with pinnacles, high gables etc and unusually worn chimneys. Outbuildings of the same design, though much altered. No trace of any ecclesiastical stonework.
E. Rose (NAU).
(S3) describes as a manor house, 'mainly Victorian but with late 16th century core' U-shape, retains behind 19th century remodelling one wing of 16th century manor with original roof. Remainder of (S3) only details 19th century external work, then says 'interior 19th century though 16th century roof with jointed crucks (sic), principal rafters, purlins and windbracing'. Barn is described as 16th century, incorporating fabric of 16th century manor. Red brick, three bays + three bay extension; west part early brick on flint plinth, with 18th century buttresses; 19th century roof on original tiebeams, wallposts and braces. East part 18th century with 16th century brickwork used in gables and 17th century buttresses (how?).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 October 1985.
Barn to south of hall is listed. 16th century, incorporating fabric of the 16th century manor, of red brick, with pantiled roof. Three bays, with further extension of three bays to the east. Single bay lean-to on north side. West barn of early brickwork on flint plinth, with ventilation slots and raking 18th century buttresses on the south side. Eastern extension mainly 18th century, but with 16th century brickwork incorporated to form the gable wall. 17th century stepped buttresses to the south. Moulded brick kneelers to gables and deep brick dentil eaves. Attached range of farm buildings to the north, not of special interest.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 1 February 2006.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOTTLE (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 548. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hevingham. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Serial: Blomefield, F. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol VI. p 377. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1050916 and 1372967. |
Related records - none
Find out more...