Record Details

NHER Number:7413
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall


The hall was built in 1689 and was altered around 1820 and 1850. It has been suggested that it was a dower house for adjacent Blickling Hall (NHER 5115). It is constructed of red brick with two storeys plus an attic and a basement. The west façade has seven bays with the central three recessed. Much of the interior is original including a painting of the hall on a chimney breast. The gardens include a long avenue of mature oak trees and a species of apple only known at Blickling. The present gardens date to the 19th century but are reconstructions of the original using some surviving fragments. There is also a range of out buildings including two barns dating to 1689 and around 1800. The cart shed was fortified by the addition of loopholes during World War Two.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 18589 27456
Map Sheet:TG12NE

Full description

March 1978. Visit
Old Hall. 1689 (dated on chimney, according to (S1); this was not found, but date would be right. Seven bays, two storeys, central three bays recessed. Hipped roof, pilastered and pedimented doorway, rusticated quoins, wooden cross window on north side, original staircase. Rear (east) side altered. Excellent condition. In one room is an overmantel painting of the view to west (information from J. Gibbs, (National Trust)). To north, range of contemporary barns with pedimented shaped gables, pedimented windows, and doorway with pediment. Used by National Trust as agent's house.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 March 1978.

[1] notes four loopholes cut into north wall of barn, probably around 1940, a rare feature. Record in file. No. G3-14.
D. Walker (NLA), July 1996.

See also notes in (S2) (appendix of ungraded sites).

2003. Photographic record.
Full internal and external photo record, but without index of locations.
See (S2) In file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 January 2004.

Above description superceded by notes in file. Hall of 1689, important for its date, altered around 1820 and 1850. Retains much original interior and painting of itself. Barns 1689 and around 1800, contain fortified position around 1940. Gardens, part original, part reconstruction.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 8 November 2003.

Painting dated to 1720, and is decribed at length in (S4).
K. Hamilton (NLA) 28 August 2007

September 2008.
Described as 'a perfect specimen of an early Classical house' by Pevsner (S5). It has an associated garden and garden-canal, a barn with an architectural link to Blickling Hall and a surviving contemporary avenue.
See (S6)
H. White (NLA), 29 January 2009

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PILLBOX (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TREE AVENUE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1827N - V.
---Photograph: Pert, M.. 2003. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. National Trust defends its policy on lettings. 26 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. [Articles on the sale of Aylsham Old Hall].
<S2>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.
<S2>Photograph: Unknown. 2004. [unknown].
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Monograph: Dixon-Hunt, J.. 1988. The Anglo-Dutch Garden in the Reign of William and Mary..
<S5>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 365-366; Pl 87.
<S6>Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2008. Blickling Estate, An Archaeological and Historical Landscape Survey. NAU Archaeology. 1399.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service