|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Fransham Place, Little Fransham|
A former rectory, built in about 1800, with a mid 19th century extension. The porch is flanked by classical columns, and the house has a butler's pantry and a game larder.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9034 1227|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Old Rectory at Little Fransham.
3 storey 3 bay Georgian house, with ground floor windows in blank arches.
(S1) quotes National Building Record as saying porch has pairs of Ionic columns, but if this is accurate the porch has been vandalised, with the capitals removed and a heavy concrete block placed on top. Contemporary rear wing has Gothick window inserted.
Ruinous outbuildings. Stone owl in yard. Building is under thorough restoration.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 7 October 1976.
(S2) dates as about 1800 but believes service wing is all mid 19th century, not just the Gothick window. Adds; good plasterwork on interior, and apsidal square.
(S3) states rear wing about 1700, main house about 1800, butlers pantry and game larder 'later'; stables 17th century with original roof.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 April 1985.m
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VICARAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Thesis: Rogerson, A.. 1995. Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 522; Pl 107. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 247. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077470. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Pevsner wrote about it. 19 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...