Record Details

NHER Number:718
Type of record:Building
Name:Even Nos 56 to 60 King Street


Even Nos 56 to 60 are formed of three buildings, one on the street dating to around 1700, and two at the rear. The northern rear range dates to the late 18th or early 19th century, and the southern to around 1600. Although their original use is unclear, these buildings formed a public house and shops during the 19th century.

The front range rises to three storeys of red brick, and has a plain 19th century pub front. A 17th century carriage entry survives on the far left, as do some 17th century windows on the second floor. Under the southern rear wing there is also an early 17th century rib vaulted brick undercroft.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2339 0845
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Even Nos 56 to 60 King Street.

1954. Listed Grade II*.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Original use unknown. 19th-century public house and shops under restoration at time of re-survey. 17th-century street range with early 17th- and 19th-century rear ranges. Red brick. Brick and flint rubble. Pantile roof. The street range has a symmetrical plan with centre stack and stack stairs. C. 1700. Three storeys."
"Undercroft:- Brick. At right-angles to and away from the street line beneath the early 17th-century block."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 24 January 2018. Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.

1974. Building Survey.
Survey of 56-60 King Street by Royal Commission.
The south section of the building was formerly the Three Tuns public house and the area to the rear known as Three Tuns Yard. On the north side of the yard, projecting behind the centre of the building is a wing of early 17th century date, below which is a brick undercroft of probable late 15th- or 16th-century date. The main range of the building was entirely rebuilt in the late 17th century and a second rear wing was built behind the north section shortly afterwards. The building has been significantly changed by later alterations.
See report (S2) for further details including plan of undercroft and copies of photographs.
P. Watkins (HES), 16 January 2017.

May 1980. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norwich Survey.
Three buildings, one on the street, two of different periods at rear. Front range three storey brick with sash windows and Dutch gables around 1700. Rear range to north late 18th/early 19th century addition. South range around 1600. Rib-vaulted undercroft beneath south rear range.
See record forms (S3) for further details and copies of photographs. See file for additional photograph and other material from Alan Carter archive, including numerous plans and maps.
T. E. Miller (NLA), 21 April 2004. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 24 January 2018.

1984. Field Observation.
Much post-medieval material from renovation and underpinning of No 60.
Much medieval material, Pingsdorf red painted ware, Andenne ware, Stamford ware
Thetford type ware, early medieval ware, glazed tile fragment.
From No 56 only about 23cm (9 inches) taken out of floor level, medieval pottery and animal bone including cut antler.
Compiled by W. Milligan (NCM), 28 June 1984.
Information from (S4).
The finds recovered are now held by the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 1998.1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 24 January 2018 and 29 April 2019.

These buildings and the underlying undercroft are amongst those listed in thesis (S5), which considers the 13th- to 17th-century buildings of Norwich. Nos 56-60 King Street are described as a large 'U'-shaped building with at least four phases of construction (excluding the post-1700 work). The undercroft beneath No 60 is described as comprising two bays, each with single-order diagonal ribs. It has two side chambers in the south wall (that extend beneath the yard) and is positioned at right angles to, and away from the street line.
P. Watkins (HES), 24 January 2018.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • UNDERCROFT (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • INN (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1900 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 303-304.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051240.
<S2>Unpublished Report: Taylor, R. and Richmond, H. 1974. 56, 58, 60 King Street. Building Report.
<S3>Recording Form: Norwich Survey building record forms.
<S4>Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
<S5>Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. pp 329, 406-407.

Related records

Mon 833Parent of: 56, 58 and 60 King Street (Monument)
Site 1675Parent of: 56, 58, & 60 King Street (Monument)
Site 1676Parent of: 56, 58, & 60 King Street (Monument)
Site 2328Parent of: 56-60 King Street (Monument)
Site 3544Parent of: 56-60 King Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service