|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval watermill|
The first watermill was built on this site in 1620. The present white and red brick building dates to 1844. The presence of chimneys suggests this was used as a steam mill at some time. It is now used as a hotel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9194 2933|
|Parish:||FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1976. Visit.
Watermill. First mill on site built in 1620. Present mill 1844. Vaguely symmetrical facade over river looking east, with flat pilasters, central pediment, and great iron ties. White brick; remainder in red brick; tall section to south. Water arches renewed.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1976.
(S1) in file for possible conversion to restaurant 1981. Never happened. Proposed conversion to flats 1982.
E. Rose (NLA).
Chimney and other evidence of use as steam mill.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 January 1983.
(S2) queries whether the river channels may have been deliberately formed in an ornamental fashion as part of the gardens of Grove House.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 February 1998.
Now the Wensum Lodge Hotel.
J. Allen (NLA), 10 February 2000.
Mill is marked on 1ins O.S. map, 1824-1836 (S3)
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 04/01/11
- WATERMILL (17th Century to 19th Century - 1620 AD to 1836 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9129 S-U,AK. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Restoration of mill gains prize. 22 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1989. Changing face of former mill. 3 February. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. Norfolk mills face closure. 7 October. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 459. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Photograph of Fakenham Mill]. 1 April. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...