Record Details

NHER Number:6695
Type of record:Building
Name:Itteringham Mill

Summary

This watermill is marked on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797. It has six bays and three storeys. The dormer windows are Georgian.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1492 3056
Map Sheet:TG13SW
Parish:ITTERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

May 1978. Visit.
Six bays, two storeys, red brick. Later dormers Georgian.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 May 1978.

Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

There has been a watermill marked in Itteringham since the Domesday survey in the 11th century (S2). It is suggested that the present mill was constructed around 1788. The mill stopped working around 1920. During WWII the building was used as an officers mess hall for RAF Matlaske. The mill is noted in Walpole estate records from 1838 and in White's and Kelly's directories (S3 and S4) from 1864 to 1937. Although milling stopped after 1925, subsequent owners carried on dealing in corn and flour up to 1937.
Information from NIAS records (S5).
W. Arnold (HES), 4 January 2011.

Monument Types

  • MILL (Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1086 AD? to 1925 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. [Sale advertisement for Itteringham Mill]. 20 September.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Vaughan-Lewis, W. & M.. 2010. Good Neighbours: Itteringham, Norfolk in the 18th century. pp 112-115.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S3>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S4>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S5>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service