Record Details

NHER Number:6691
Type of record:Building
Name:St Michael's Church, Plumstead


This church has its origins in the 12th century but has numerous later additions. It comprises a nave (13th century), chancel (14th century), west tower and clerestory. The south aisle of this church was demolished sometime before the 19th century. It is a flint built structure with clunch ashlar dressing. However, the north wall is made from unusual herringbone pattern carrstone conglomerate of an early date (12th century). Interesting external features include the fishscale tiled west tower with carved stone gargoyles adorning each corner. Inside there is a plain octagonal font, decorated Easter Sepulchre (14th century) and numerous beautiful stained glass windows, several of which are made from 16th/17th century Flemish glass and which were brought here from Catton Hall in 1952.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1325 3489
Map Sheet:TG13SW

Full description

1978. Church visited.
Ironbound conglomerate in north wall, and blocked south priest's door (now covered by buttress) has frame of this - but apparently pointed. Not Late Saxon! Chancel dates to around 1300 with cusped lancets to south. A fragment of vaulted Easter sepulchre survives. There is a cusped piscina and sedilia in window base. There is a Late Decorated west tower with flushwork battlements, and the base is part panelled, part altered. The perpendicular south arcade and clerestory now blocked up, and 19th century windows in Geometric style inserted (Ladbrooke shows imitation Y-tracery windows in this blocking, like the present 19th century west window, with the south door cutting one). The east window is in Perpendicular style but perhaps dates ot the 19th century. Disused north porch. Interior features include an 18th century floor tomb, octagonal font, the old bell and stained glasswork dating to the 15th to 17th century and originating from Catton Hall.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 May 1978.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (18th Century - 1743 AD to 1743 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (World War One - 1916 AD to 1916 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152882.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 1-5.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 639.
---Publication: Baines, A. E. W. 2000. Specification for Repairs at St Michael's Church, Plumstead, Norfolk. 7 June.
---Leaflet: Revised text by Leverton, P.J., Durdin, J.F. & Powell, T.S.. 1999. A guide to St Michael's Church, Plumstead..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service