Record Details

NHER Number:6526
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval mill house and site of post medieval watermill

Summary

This ruined mill house is presumed to be on the site of an old watermill. The house was built between the 17th and early 19th century.


21 January 1996.
Remains of building unchanged, as seen in 1987.
D. Gurney (NLA), 22 January 1996.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0880 3668
Map Sheet:TG03NE
Parish:HEMPSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Mill house presumably old watermill.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S1) says Dam Hill to south takes name from mill dam.
E. Rose (NAU).

Mill House: presumably an old water mill (not yet visited). Note not the same as Holt Mill further north which is sometimes called Hempstead Mill wrongly.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 October 1985.

Demolished no trace left.
Information from R. Willatts (NCC).
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1987.

January 1989. Visit.
Despite above statement, ruins of the building do survive: west wall above stream of brick with possible traces of flint walls to bank of stream. Main south wall of central section of random brick and flint. Overgrown. Date could be 17th to
early 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 January 1989.

21 January 1996. Visit.
Remains of building unchanged, as seen in 1987.
D. Gurney (NLA), 22 January 1996.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B.. 1957. The Holt Road. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 163-177. p 176.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service