Record Details

NHER Number:6427
Type of record:Building
Name:Methodist chapel, Crown Street


This yellow brick Methodist chapel was built in 1831. It has four giant pilasters on the façade and Tuscan columns on a recessed porch.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 7326 9476
Map Sheet:TL79SW

Full description

November 1975. Visit.
Methodist chapel. Dated 1831. Yellow brick; four giant pilasters on facade. Tuscan columns on recessed porch.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 November 1975.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel dated 1831. This chapel has a brick front with flint and gault brick dressings. Three bay front with giant pilasters, parapet and narrow pediment over centre dated 1831.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 25 October 2012.

Notification that the churchis to be sold and no longer subject to ecclesiastical exemption
S. Heywood (HES), 19 February 2014

Monument Types

  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1831 AD to 2100 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1831 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 540.
<S1>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 253.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service