Record Details

NHER Number:640
Type of record:Monument
Name:Duke's Palace Bridge and associated archaeological finds


The original bridge dates to 1822 and is made from cast iron. In 1972 it was dismantled and this process uncovered several pits containing horn cores and a fragment of a post medieval jug. It was proposed that the dismantled bridge was sold for scrap but it was saved from this fate in 1991 when it was re-erected at the Castle Mall shopping centre.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2294 0887
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

September 1972. Rebuilding of bridge over Wensum and widening of Duke Street.
Horn cores from pits on northeast side of bridge. Bellarmine jug fragment found.
J. Roberts.

Old bridge to be re-erected at Castle Mall 1991.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).

Press cutting (S1) in file

Original bridge dates from 1822 and is in cast iron.
See press cutting (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1822 AD to 1972 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 279.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Mall bridges the old and the new. 4 September.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Old time spanner for the Mall. 5 June.

Related records

Site 1313Parent of: Dukes Palace Bridge (Monument)
Mon 1356Part of: Colegate (from Duke Street to Water Lane) (Monument)
Mon 1227Part of: River Wensum (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service