Record Details

NHER Number:6238
Type of record:Building
Name:St Nicholas' Church, Salthouse


This church is a handsome example of late Perpendicular style, having been rebuilt by Sir Henry Heydon in the late 15th century. The west tower is from the earlier church, traces of which can be seen to the north, and has bell openings. The rest consists of a clerestoreyed nave and chancel in one with north and south aisles and a leaded roof, and north and south porches. The interior is full of light, with tall and narrow aisles windows and an enormous east window. Most of the tiled floor is original. The splendidly preserved 15th century carved octagonal font has evangelist and passion symbols on its faces and smiling lions at the angles. The remains of a repositioned screen have painted saints, and on their rear, graffiti of ships, which can also be seen on the choir stalls. In the graveyard outside, which has interesting gravestones, a ruined chapel was excavated in the 1930s. Following restoration to the war memorial (NHER 63907) the original memorial plaques were retained and placed in the church porch.


  • St Nicholas' Church, Salthouse  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0761 4366
Map Sheet:TG04SE

Full description

Foundations of earliest church seem to lie under churchyard to north. Oldest part of present structure seems to be 14th century base of tower though there is a round-headed arch from church to sacristy and a re-used window of about 1300. Main body of church, on a usual plan with internal chancel and tall windows, dates from the 1480s to 1510. Good wood work with graffiti of ships; font; part of stone coffin memorial; original tiled floors. In churchyard, ruined chapel excavated in 1930s which produced pottery, tiles and metal work. Good gravestones in yard. Deposits of floor and roofing tiles found in churchyard.
Church is listed Grade I, chapel Grade II. (S1)
See detailed report (S2), press cuttings (S3) to (S4), correspondence (S5), photographs (S6) and pamphlet (S7) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 November 2000.

1998. War Memorials Trust restoration.
Following restoration to the World War One Memorial (NHER 63907) situated in the churchyard, the original plaques for the World War Two and Cold War Additions were retained and placed in the church porch (S9).
See Listing Description for NHER 63907 (S9) for further details. War Memorials On-line (S10) for images, and the War Memorials Trust (S11) for details on restoration.
P. Beers (HES), 24 April 2020.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S8).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • LEAD FURNACE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WAR MEMORIAL (TRIBUTE) (World War Two to Cold War - 1939 AD to 1992 AD)

Associated Finds

  • Xtile pavement (Undated)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INSCRIBED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Linnell, C. L. S. 1941. Some Notes on the Ruin in Salthouse Churchyard. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt III pp 345-350.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG0743/F - h, J - N, p - U, W - AA; TG0843/H.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 127-133.
---Publication: Fiddian, V. (ed). 2003. Salthouse. The story of a Norfolk Village.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 655-656.
---Unpublished Document: 1818. Excursions through Norfolk. 2.
---Publication: Norfolk Heritage. 1977. Water Transport in Norfolk. Salthouse church graffiti.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches.. No 1.
---Leaflet: Saint Nicholas' Church, Salthouse..
---Article in Serial: Eden, P. 1980. Salthouse Church. The Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 pp 347-348.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1976. Salthouse under siege. 1 May.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Photographs of St Nicholas' Church, Salthouse].
<S5>Correspondence: Various.
<S6>Photograph: Rose, E.. 2001. TWV 3 - 15.
<S7>Publication: Linnell, C.L.S.. 1953. Salthouse Church.
<S8>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.
<S9>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1456624.
<S10>Website: War Memorials Trust. 2014 - 2020. War Memorials Online. 17 October 2019. Reference WMO103853 [Accessed 24 April 2020].
<S11>Website: War Memorials Trust. 2012-2018?. War Memorials Trust Show Case Result, Honing. 26 April 2020. Showcase Result, Salthouse [Accessed 24 April 2020].

Related records

MNO2780Related to: Ruins of chapel in NW corner of ch-yd of Church of St. Nicholas SALTHOUSE (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service