Record Details

NHER Number:582
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Mary Unbrent's Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich


The Church of St Mary derived part of its name from a reference to the great fire that occurred during the reign of William the Conqueror. Hence the appelation 'unbrent' may refer to the fact that the church remained unburnt. The alternative name 'in Combusto or Incombusto' may also imply this, or perhaps that the church was situated in an area that was burnt. The church was demolished at the dissolution, before 1558, and the parish united to St Saviours.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23148 09173
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Also known as St Mary in Combusto (part of the city burnt by the great fire in the Conqueror's time). In combusto or Unbrent, Unbrent may mean un burnt but ancient evidences call it Le Brent, Arsa or Burnt, ie the church was burnt.
The error may come by called it 'In' the area of Combusto = Incombusto unburnt rather than in the area of burning (S1).
Demolished at dissolution before 1558.
United to St Saviours. Golden Dog Lane runs through the churchyard.
In the Bodleian Library - deeds dated 1274 (Rye Index p.247).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 16th Century - 1066 AD? to 1558 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N32; p 175.
---Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 449-450.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 69.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 75-76.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.

Related records

Mon 746Parent of: St Mary Unbrent, Magdalen Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service