Record Details

NHER Number:569
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Church of St Martin (in Balliva) at Bal/Ber Street, Norwich


St Martin in the Bailey, also referred to as at 'Ber Street' or at 'Timber Hill' is known to have been situated here during the medieval period. Although a foundation date is not known, the church is understood to have been demolished in 1562 when the parish was united to St Michael's. It is also thought that a fraternity of friars had a house in the churchyard here, before they joined to the white friars.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23268 08302
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

St Martin in the Bailey or at 'Ber Street' at 'Timber Hill'.

(S1) 'Situated near where the Golden Ball public house now stands, on a triangular piece of ground to the righthand of the entrance to Golden Ball Lane. In the churchyard was the house of a fraternity of friars, who afterwards joined themselves to the white friars. In the year 1562 this church was totally demolished and the parish united to St Michaels'. Formerly all persons dying in the castle, and all criminals executed, were buried in the churchyard but this right, after the desecration of the church, was conferred upon St Michael's at Thorn.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).

See NHER 429 for burial possibly associated with this church.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 16th Century - 1066 AD? to 1562 AD)
  • FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Boileau, J. P. 1864. Returns of Church Goods in the Churches of the City of Norwich, 6 Edward VI. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 360-378. pp 373-374.
---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N26; p 175.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 263.
---Serial: 1962. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1962. No 9. p 5.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 120-122.
<S3>Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 63-64.

Related records

Site 1413Parent of: 21 Cattle Market Street (Monument)
Mon 1579Parent of: Open Area 17 (Castle Mall) (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service